Sunday, April 29, 2012

And Thus, Gardening Season Begins!!

Wow, its the end of April already!  Where has the time gone?  Where have I been to not notice the time passing?  I haven't the foggiest.  But I do have an explanation for the last few days!

As of Friday, the community garden is now open!  Friday was our worker bee day of tilling, and weeding, and sectioning off the plots in the garden!  T helped our garden manager stake out the plots!  Ok, in reality he held the measuring tape on a stake as she measured out and staked the plots!  But he helped out so much!  He was also my weed dumper for Friday and Saturday.  It was so much fun to see how into things he got.  We even found a dead sunflower head with some seeds left in it, and he asked if we could plant some by the corner stakes in my garden.  So if we get sunflowers sprouting I know where they came from!

So I have officially worn myself out the last 2 days, and I feel like I shouldn't be this worn out!!  Friday I weeded the community strawberry bed.  It was almost completely over grown with grass and weeds.  There were 3 adults and a few children weeding the strawberry bed, and it got done in about 3 hours.  I started building the beds in my garden yesterday (Saturday) and sifting through the dirt to find the weeds and the grass roots.  I love this community garden, but I will say I am so frustrated that most of the other "gardeners" that participated last year didn't weed their plots!  Where my new plot is situated is about 1/2 my brothers, and all of the neighbors plot, as well as 1/4 of other peoples plots along the side.   My brother's plot was fairly well weeded and clear, but these other plots are HORRIBLE!!! Especially the 1/4 plots along the side... 100% weeds and I'm not even on the 1/4 plots yet!


I have 1 bed completely dug and weeded and even planted because T was just so excited to plant carrots that I decided we could plant carrots and peas early.  So thats all cleared and planted, and staked, just need to put up my fencing.  I have a second bed dug and weeded, but not planted yet.  Still sifting through the top layers to get what weeds I can out.  Its taking about 4 hours each bed to sift and dig, and by the end of hour 2 I feel shaky and sore enough to collapse.  AND  I still have anywhere from 4 to 6 more beds to dig!! This is a speed of 1 bed per day I've been able to clear out, and if I keep this up, I won't have a garden for the entire season! Especially since its supposed to be on and off rain and with me working 4 days this week, makes it hard for me to be in the garden when D is off work and able to get the kids.  If I were to keep the bed digging to weekends it would take almost a month for the beds to be dug!  I don't know how I am going to do this!  Well POOP!! I want to get this all done so I can get planting!  As well as the need to amend the soil since I don't know if anyone actually did that last year...


Maybe by the end of all this I will have lost weight/ body fat, and be as tan as those women who obsessively tan.  HA!  Yeah right.  But I can dream!  I promise I'll take pictures of the garden tomorrow after work, and after I change and go digging!! LOL!  Here's hoping for bed 3 and maybe 4 to be dug!!

No comments:

Post a Comment