Thursday, April 5, 2012

Oh the joys of spinning!

So last night I had the pleasure of going to Paradise Fibers for their hand spinning class, to learn to spin some wool on my spindle.  I have tried by myself and watching on youtube and other random sites.  But I just couldn't get it.  The drafting and joining the wool parts confounded me.  It just didn't make sense, and didn't look like what they were doing on the video.

Last night was a class with Rachel, daughter of the owner of Paradise Fibers who was able to show me how to draft better, and smash the join together and make it spin together.  It was a great night of laughing and talking.  It was a very fun night!  Can't wait to spin some more yarn soon, just want to purchase some pretty colored wool.

I have been saying that I want a spinning wheel for the last few months, and D is encouraging me to buy one, with the agreement that I take some spinning classes to get more comfortable and make sure its something I want to do.  I took my first one last night, and there are 2 more classes for learning on wheels at the end of the month.  Now I need to decide on what model to buy!  I have 2 models picked out, one which I had the chance to spin on last night, and one which wasn't set up.  The Ashford Traveller castle style spinning wheel and the Kromski Minstrel, also a castle style spinning wheel.  The Ashford Traveller was set up, and I got to spin a little on it.  It was very comfortable, and really quite small compared to the old style saxony type that my mother had.  But I've had my heart set on the Kromski Minstrel for a long time.  I'm not sure why, because its very pretty, but taller than the Ashford.  Maybe its the draw of the more worked wood.  The spokes of the wheel are turned and very ... pretty.  Very much a gorgeous piece of furniture as well as functional machine. 

Oh the decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment